How to Avoid UPS Brokerage Fees
Last Updated on 13/06/2021 by Miki Yoshida
We don’t really pay extra for anything if we can avoid it. Obviously, UPS brokerage fees are no exception. Here in this article, we are going to show you a step by step guide to receive your package in the United States from Canada without paying UPS brokerage fees.
How To Avoid UPS Brokerage Fees
1. Tell the seller that the item will be marked on the document when it is shipped and that you are handling the rates yourself, not UPS. After submitting all written documents, the seller will receive a tracking number from UPS. You must provide this tracking number as soon as possible.
2. When you receive this tracking number (Free UPS) 1-800-742-5877, please call UPS. Tell them that you are responsible for settling Canadian rates associated with your tracking number and that you never want UPS to do this for you. They will insist that it is faster but full.
3. After the package arrives at the UPS warehouse in Winnipeg, UPS will contact you to inform you that the package has arrived. Confirm that the shipping documents have been completed. You will have to go there instead of packing (yet) to pick up the paperwork.
4. UPS will deliver actual customs papers and basic instructions to Canadian Customs and Immigration. The headquarter is located in Ottawa, Ontario.
5. After locating the Canadian Customs and Immigration Office, walk-in and declare that you want to clear the current package through the United Parcel Service Inc (UPS) warehouse. Remind them that this is for your own “personal use”. They will ask for your receipt. Canadian Customs employees are very strict with what they consider to be sales orders. Therefore, make sure that your sales list contains all the correct information. That is the company’s letterhead and the store’s address.
6. If all goes well, they will take you to the cashier, where you will pay the customs duties (you still have to pay the customs duties, but that is much less than the tax collected by UPS). After all, fees are paid, they will stamp the original document that UPS has given you.
7. Go back to the UPS building, give them your papers and take the package home.
There you have the answer to “how to avoid UPS brokerage fees”. This may seem a kind of extreme method, but it should help you achieve what you want ultimately. Please feel free to share your own experience with us in a comment below. If you don’t want to go all the way to pick up your package by yourself, please feel free to read this article. It will tell you how to request a pick up near your location.